Wednesday, December 14, 2011

Skyrim, Glee, DID, and music.

My day today was.. basically the same as the past few days have been.

I woke up and played some video games, starting with Grid.
Grid is a fantastic racing game  designed by Codemasters, the maker of the hit racing game Dirt.
Grid is essentially the breathtaking engine that Dirt used, applied to an urban racing environment.
The results are pretty amazing.
I've recently become a major fan of racing games, and VERY recently starting playing all racing games with manual shifting.
It has a noticeable difference, as in a long straight away, you can hold the gears till right before they peak, rather than the automatic shifting forcing a shift a little earlier. It does net you a little more speed, but it really depends on the gear you're already in, and a bunch of other stuff.
I just enjoy hearing the engine revving.

I've always been a fan of drifting, ever since NFS: Underground 2 made me start taking part in drift races.
I've really gotten quite good at it (in game).
In real life, I've had a few interesting slides that I tried to drift on.... None of them worked well.
But anyway, playing Grid, I got around 2 million points in one race. Which is quite a bit.
That's that. It's an awesome game. I recommend it for anyone that enjoys racing games.

Next, I played some Skyrim. It's amazing. No other way to describe it.
But as for interesting stories, I don't really have many.
I ended up going into a soldiers' barrack room, and I noticed that everyone was asleep.
All in a straight line.
I saved.
Then Fus Ro Dah'd their asses.
They all slid off the bed, still in sleeping position.
Then they all ragdoll'd, and tried to get up. Some of them got up while they were upside down. Some got up sideways.
It was all very enjoyable.
And then, they didn't even get mad at me.
But, I ended up booking it out of there anyway. Just in case they realized I was shouting them out of bed.

I then stopped by the Jarl's place in Windhelm. I waltzed in and asked if he had any jobs.
He proceeded to tell me in his glorious Ahnold accent that he had a bounty set on a dragon somewhere outside of his province.
With his terminator-esque voice ringing in my ears, I dashed outside to my steed Shadowmere.
And then accidentally shouted.
Except this time, I had stormcall activated.
So for a good minute or two, I was riding in the rain.
While my horse repeatedly got struck by lightning.
I was safe though.
Because I'm the Dragonborn. I get the bitches.

I saw the shadow of the dragon in the distance, and the dramatic music started playing.
I looked up, expecting the massive enemy to swoop down and attack.
He, in fact, was actually just.... hovering there. Flapping his wings.
What the hell?
I ran up till I was underneath him.
Still didn't move.
So I fired a few arrows at him, and...
ZOOOOMMMMM!
He flew off.
Backwards.
Into a mountain.
That he phased through and came out the other side.
.
That recent patch really messed with the dragons.
But eventually, after some wandering and saving, I headed BACK to the mountain, and he was de-bugged.
He was doin' his normal thing, flyin in circles and yelling at me.
So I yelled at him, right to his face.
So he ate me.
Try #2:
I ran in, shouted, threw fire, stabbed him in the face with my sword, and ran away to heal.
Then he took on my horse.
Shadowmere is.. The same Shadowmere from Oblivion.
Super tough, insane health regen.
.
The dragon kept breathing fire at him, and he just kept punching him in the face with his hooves.
So I fired arrows at the dragon till he died.
That's about the entirety of my adventure.
Sometime soon, I'm going to finish the questline for the Stormcloaks so I can buy the house in Windhelm. It's nice.

That's basically my entire geek / nerd / gamer part of the blog. The rest is boring, and about my life.
----------------------

For all of you who don't know, I work as a sign shaker. I stand at the corner, and spin my sign around, hoping you won't pay attention to me.
It's not uncommon for people to flip me off, shout things at me, or throw things at me. It's part of the job.
Kids think it's funny to stare at me and make funny faces when they think I'm not looking.
It's even funnier when I look back. And make a scary face.
They turn away pretty quickly.

The worst are small cars full of junior high-ers who think they're absolutely hilarious.
I saw a car driving up with one of the windows down, and everyone laughing.
It didn't take long to realize what they were going to do.
So I did what anyone else would do in my position.
I waited till they got close.
Then threw an empty Monster can at me.

Then snatched it out of mid-air with my free hand.

They looked kind of surprised.

Can't say I blamed them

----------------------

I got home from work, and got some studying done for my PSY100 final. It's all pretty interesting actually.
I think the perhaps most interesting disorder would be DID. Disassociative Identity Disorder.
It's a relatively new term. It used to be known as Multiple Personality Disorder.
I'm not going to sit and pretend I know alot about it. I know the basics, and I know enough to know that it's really really interesting.
The basic explanation would be this:

In order to avoid overwhelming emotions, stress, or trauma, your mind activates a sort of defensive mechanism. You begin to 'be' someone else. That's how I see it, at least.
In order to distance yourself from your own pain, you switch to a different personality, which allows you to see your own problems from a 'safe' distance away, sort of how a third party would see it.

This is, to me, the most interesting disorder in the world.
I don't always disassociate, but when I do,
He doesn't let me drive.

----------------------

Next, I got on Skype with my beeeest friend Lizzi.
She's gotten me into quite a few different things that I normally don't really think about.
For example, Glee.
We watch every new episode that comes out together(:
It's one of my favorite times.
Since I've only recently started watching it, she explains everything to me when I'm confused. It's quite amazing that she's patient enough with me so when I stop the video and yell "HANG ON. WHAT?", she actually helps tell me the history of each character, and why they're doing what they're doing.

I have to say, I kind of like Glee.
Normally, all I watched was random anime, Family Guy, American Dad, and House.
Not to say those aren't great. I love them all.
But I've seen every episode at least 3 times.
Glee is certainly alot more interesting.

I'm jealous of Kurt's outfits.
He's an awesome gay guy.
I wish I could pull off turtlenecks and scarves.
I mean seriously.
And he sings like a frickin angel.

Glee makes me want to learn to sing.

DON'T JUDGE ME.

Lizzi has also introduced me to rap.
I mean, the only rap I listened to before was Eminem, because.. I don't know why. I liked his lyrics alot.
She's gotten me listening to Lil' Wayne, Busta Rhymes, and other stuff. I mean seriously.
We're the two whitest kids you'll ever see, and we jam to Lil' Wayne, bobbin' our heads and pretending we're gangstah. It's really entertaining.

I never really HATED Justin Bieber. I mean,
I made fun of him. He was, and still is, an easy target.
I think the most obnoxious thing is that he really became famous overnight. And a large portion is because he's young.
I'm not going to put in my whole opinion on this, because it'd take a few pages.
But, suffice to say, because of Lizzi, I can actually stand his music.

Same with country.
I love the SOUND of a country song.
Steel guitar, sliding notes, simplistic drumming, lots of dynamics, that kind of thing.
The only reason I don't like country as much is because I can't get over how funny the accents are.
I mean seriously.
It just sounds hilarious to me.
Lizzi had me listen to Jason Aldean and Rodney Atkins. Out of those two, I preferred Atkins.
We listened to this song.
I just liked it because it had really sweet lyrics.
Like, sweet as in "d'awww".
Not sweet as in "AWWW YYYEAHHHHH".

I prefer old bluegrass over country. Banjo, mandolin.. Awesome stuff.

When I listen to music, I listen from a drummer's point of view. I judge my music based on the rhythm, and what kind of beat I can imagine that will best support the music.
Some time I'll blog about music only.

But this has been a massive blog anyway.

Uh.. I think I'm going to study now.
And play Skyrim.
One of those isn't going to happen.













But yup. That's my day.
Lots of info, and random stuff you probably didn't want to hear.
BUT THIS IS MY BLOG. I'LL TALK 'BOUT WHAT I WANT.

So.. To all,
a good night.


Top Five Songs of the Day

  1. Blue Monk by Thelonious Monk
  2. Blues Five Spot by Eric Reed
  3. Watchin' You by Rodney Atkins
  4. Look At Me Now by Chris Brown
  5. The Soundtrack to Skyrim
(speaking of which, watch this. You can't unhear it. I can't take the theme to skyrim seriously anymore).
Video Game of the Day

Grid.
(It was going to be Skyrim, but then I took an arrow to the knee).

Picture of the Day


Courage Wolf is by far my favorite meme. Jussayin'.






No comments: