Monday, February 13, 2012

Homosexuals, Bisexuals, Heterosexuals - We're All People

Let's see..
As usual, I haven't planned any of this blog.
Okay, I planned the topic.

That is, I wrote down "Discrimination" on a sticky note on my desktop.
That's basically all I have right now.

Not sure what I'll be talking about.

This is kind of spontaneous.
Lizzi said that I shouldn't really plan out my posts.
This is a blog.
I don't need to write perfect essays.
It's about writing down my thoughts about something.

So, this post will be me rambling on about something or other.
Hooray!
Random rambling.

--------------------

Let's see.. Discrimination..
Not sure who to talk about.

Give me a sec.
I'll think about it.

While I do that, I'll talk about other stuff.
Today, I woke up on time, which is nice. I ate my breakfast, then went and started my car, cause it was a little chilly.
Then I basically drove to class and had my first class of the day, which was Sociology 100.
We watched a documentary about violence and it's effects in society today.
It was pretty interesting actually.
Then I had my Child Psychology test about 10 minutes ago or so.
Wasn't too bad, but I probably could have done better.

Then I headed out and bought a 99c burrito and a small drink at Taco Bell.
About $2.50 for a lot of food (:
I liked it.

Okay, now I'm going to work on the body of my blog post.
Still not sure what I'm talking about.
Time to be really spontaneous.

--------------------

I guess discrimination against gays would be one of my biggest pet peeves.

I mean.....

Really.
They're people.
Just because they're different from you doesn't mean you should mistreat them.
Like this post talked about, I think everybody deserves respect, even if you just met them.

Like I've said before, I don't want to turn this into an angry, hateful blog.
That kind of ruins what I'm going for.
I don't want to hate on people who hate.....

Yo dawg.. Heard you like hating..

I guess that kind of bothers me.
I mean hating.
Not yo dawg.

People can preach about how you should love everyone, then they end up condemning and yelling at others who frustrate them.
Doesn't really support their arguments, and kind of makes them look stupid.
That's my opinion.

So I'm going to try and avoid that kind of sound.
I'll be frustrated with people, but I refuse to yell and scream about how much I hate them.
I try to give it a more mature approach, by simply stating my views on the subject.

Honestly, I think there's no reason to mistreat someone just because they're different.
Even if you disagree with their lifestyle, it doesn't mean you should treat them like crap for it.
They are people, just like us.
They just have a different life philosophy.

Homosexuals already get hated on from people within various religions.
I hate to pick one out, but Christianity is actually a big factor in this.
I would classify myself as a Christian, but I can easily admit I'm not a very good example of a Christian. That's another post for another time. For the purpose of this post, just know that I'm not hating on Christians by any means.

The reason I pick Christianity out of the others is because a large percentage of Americans consider themselves Christians.

There are people that give us really, really bad reputations. We're famous for judging.
I think that homosexuality is one of the biggest topics that Christians get crap for.
Because, frankly, we're famous for giving shit for it.

This is NOT to say that all Christians are the same. On the contrary, I know many strong Christians who understand that judging does not send the message that they want to display, and many of my Christian friends hold the same views that I do.

I'm not saying that Christians are the only ones who can judge or condemn others.
There are plenty of people that seem to discriminate just because they don't agree with someone's values.

I really don't like that.
This post really...
I don't know.
It just doesn't feel as well-written as my other ones.
So I'm sorry if you were expecting some beautifully written essay, but this one is kind of written just because I was thinking about it earlier today.

This applies to everyone, not just Christians.
You can't claim to be a good person, then discriminate against someone.
I find discrimination extremely offensive! Hating or condemning someone because they're different just isn't right.
I understand that some of you disagree strongly with a homosexual lifestyle.
It's definitely your right to disagree. It's fine to not like how they live, it's okay to think that they're wrong for doing what they do, but you shouldn't automatically put yourself above them.

You don't need to put them in a lower ranking in your mind, if that makes sense.
You shouldn't decide that you're a better person because you don't like how they live.

They're a person, and they deserve happiness, just like you.
They have the right to live the way they want to, and they don't need to be criticized and judged every time they leave the house.

James, Ian and I were talking about how, during a gay rights parade, a Christian held up a sign that said he was tired of other Christians judging gays, and he said that he loved them all as people, even if he didn't agree with their lifestyle. He obviously was well-liked by the people there.
He had the courage to admit that he wasn't necessarily comfortable with their morals, but he still loved them as people.
I definitely would applaud his decision, as I think that is an awesome example of how most people should act.
There's no reason to treat someone like trash when you disagree with them.

I think a lot of the hate that homosexuals get is simply inherited from others.
It's almost socially acceptable to discriminate against them! That's so sad, that discrimination and hate has become a norm.

Sure, people will constantly preach about how you should love everyone, about how you need to be a better person.
The only thing is, people will listen to that and say they agree, so they can call themselves a better person.
It's extremely easy to say that you believe something, but you need to back it up.

I guess the phrase "that's gay" has become popular. Very quickly.
I realize that sometimes I mess up and say it.
But I'm trying my best to avoid saying it.

Why?

I think it's offensive. Simply put.
It gives homosexuality a bad name, a name that, frankly, it doesn't deserve.
Just saying "that's gay" makes something sound lame, bad, stupid, or anything like that.
I had thought about it when that one commercial came on with.. someone or other, and she said that it's just a dumb thing to say.
If you think about it, it really is.
It doesn't really make sense.
It's a superfluous phrase. It's not needed.
You can just say, "that sucks", and you'll still get your point across.
I find it offensive when people say that.
I'm not saying that if I hear it, I'll flip a bitch and yell at them.
I wouldn't do that.

But it does frustrate me.
It's... It's just a phrase that I think people need to avoid using.
I said it before.. I mess up, I say it sometimes.
It's become a natural thing for people to say, which I find kind of sad.
Sure, it may not hurt your feelings, but others may take offense to it, and it could hurt them.

Another post I should write would be if homosexuality is genetic or a choice...
Simply put, I think they influence each other.
I don't think there's a specific factor you can pick out that is the most definitive.
I would need to do some more research on that so I wouldn't just ramble..
But, that's for another time.

Saying "that's gay" is one of those things that people just say without really thinking about it.
But it could be extremely offensive to homosexuals, and I even find it kind of offensive.
I have some homosexual friends, and they're great people!
They're great friends, and there's no reason that you should offend them, or discriminate against them.

We're all equal, aren't we?
(Yes).

Then doesn't everyone deserve the same respect and treatment that you would give anyone else?
(Yes).

Then why would you pick out a single group of people and mistreat them?
There's no reason to.
You have nothing to gain.
Nothing.

I guess the point of this post would be just to say that everyone is a person.
Homosexuals, bisexuals, heterosexuals... We're all people.
We all deserve happiness.
We all have the right to friendship and love.
There's no reason to just discriminate based on who they are.
What they do and what decisions they make are their business.

Nobody has any right to criticize someone because they're different.
--------------------

To be honest, that's all I can really think of saying on this topic.
For the most part, my other blog about respect probably says a lot more about this.
If you enjoyed reading this short post, then I would recommend you check this one out too!
It's a little more in-depth.

Respected Until Proven Otherwise

This post was more just to, hopefully, give you something to think about!

Well, I think that's my blog for the day.
I'm off to finish some preparations for tomorrow, then study!
Then play video games.

Have a good night (:

-Nolan

--------------------

*Side Note*

If you don't agree with what I've written in this blog, I would ask you to tell me what you don't agree with in a mature way, and please don't just spam me with hate mail.
If you have a problem with the way I think, tell me. Don't just be passive aggressive.
You can tell me you disagree with me.
I'm a big boy.

I also also take constructive criticism well!


*/Side Note*

--------------------





















I love this picture. It makes me smile(:

--------------------
UPDATE:
Added this picture:

































































--------------------


Top Five Songs of the Day

  1. I'm Alive by Disturbed
  2. Aliens Exist by Blink-182
  3. Born This Way by Lady Gaga
  4. Rooftops by Lost Prophets
  5. Alley Cat by Sherwood
Song Lyric of the Day

~My mama told me when I was young
We are all born superstars
She rolled my hair and put my lipstick on
In the glass of her boudoir

There's nothin' wrong with lovin' who you are
She said, 'cause He made you perfect, babe
So hold your head up, girl and you you'll go far
Listen to me when I say

I'm beautiful in my way
'Cause God makes no mistakes
I'm on the right track, baby
I was born this way

Don't hide yourself in regret
Just love yourself and you're set
I'm on the right track, baby
I was born this way, born this way~

-Born This Way by Lady Gaga

Video Game of the Day
Terminal Velocity.
Old school.


Youtube Video of the Day


Picture(s) of the Day







2 comments:

Ben said...

**SIDE NOTE**

Science has not found a "gay gene" per say, there hasn't been much to say whether or not is it genetic/heritable.

**ANOTHER SIDE NOTE**

I did some research, and from what I found a lot of homosexuals are that way because of some sort of event that occurred in their early stages of development. So I think environment plays a huge factor in that.

That is all :)
I think I just saved you from another blog post :)

Brayden Lans said...

Hey bro, I really liked your post today. Honestly, I haven't really liked many of your posts. But this one kind of convicted me and showed me how much in that "judging" boat I was. You're right, Christians give homosexuals the most crap out of any group, and that's just not right. It's not anywhere near how God says to treat people. I'd love to have a discussion with you about this and other topics some time!