Friday, February 17, 2012

The power of YOUTH! Also, music is fascinating

Hello!
Welcome back to my blog.

That's my intro.
Because just saying " Hmmmmmm.. so, today...".
Is.. Not as exciting.

So let's see.
I suppose I should talk about my new-found motivation for a healthy lifestyle, then I'll talk about music!
Sound good?

Sounds good.
Sounds good, bro.
I know that feel, bro.
Me gusta.

Okay now seriously I'll get started.
--------------------

My new-found motivation for a healthy lifestyle has basically come about from two people:
Ashley, and Maddie.
Both of them work out on a daily basis, and when I hear them talk about working out, I realize just how fat and out of shape I really am. It bothers me.
Also, it kind of challenges me, because I.. I don't know. I get challenged easily.
So they've definitely gotten me working out.
Ashley more so.

We've decided to become healthy-food-workout-reminder buddies.
We text each other every once in a while to remind each other to eat a meal.
I can't work out with her because I'm too poor to buy a gym membership.
But I like my workouts.
I re-wrote them yesterday.
Tuesdays and Thursdays I work on abs and lift free weights.
(I really only work with 5 - 10 pound free weights because I don't want to build huge muscles. I just want to burn off fat and work my arms out in a way that will tone them rather than make them massive).
Monday, Wednesday, Friday, I plan on doing boxing and Muay Thai! I think it's a good combination.

I also picked up a pair of gloves with adjustable weights, up to 2 pounds on each hand.
It doesn't seem like much until you're boxing.
The 2 pounds is a lot if you're not used to it.
It's fun.
My boxing and Muay Thai days have different sections using different weights on my hands.

I also picked up a pair of adjustable ankle weights, up to 5 pounds per ankle.
Again, it doesn't seem like that much. Until you're kicking and kneeing with 5 pounds on your ankles.
Not TOO difficult, but you can definitely feel the difference.
I got them, put them on, and immediately felt like Lee.

















On Fridays, Ashley and I are planning to start swimming together. Then on Wednesdays, we're going to do yoga!
I'm pretty excited to get this rolling.

Yesterday, we came to one of the coolest realizations ever.
We were both happy.

I mean, actually, genuinely happy.
Neither of us have been feeling happy lately. On the contrary, we've felt like crap for a while.
After we had worked out, we were talking and.. I guess it weirded us out.
We were happy.. But it wasn't because of someone else.
We were happy because we made ourselves happy.
It was extremely interesting.
I like it.
So we have decided we need to keep this going, to keep us in shape.

So to all you who don't really work out that much, I would recommend it.
It's kind of awesome.
It also improves your heart and lungs, and pretty much every section of your body.
It also stimulates the release of chemicals in your brain that make you happy.

I would recommend it. You'll feel so much better about yourself.
You really will.
The best advice I can offer would be,
1. Be consistent
2. Find a buddy

Those are the most important.
If you're doing a diet along with the workouts, find a diet that fits you, then stick with it.
If you over-eat a certain day, don't restart the entire diet. Just treat that day like any other.
I mean, don't just overeat ALL the things. That's not good.

But if you mess up, don't give up.

It'll all be worth it! Seriously.
I mean, I've flirted with constant work outs.
P90x wasn't what I needed, because it was just building muscles.
And I looked at it as a chore, because I just didn't enjoy it.
That's why I picked up boxing.
I really enjoy punching, even if it's the air.
That's also why I'm adding Muay Thai. I enjoy it.
Just find something that burns calories and is fun.
Then adjust it to see if you can make it a little more difficult.

If you want, try a little harder to just adjust your eating.
I mean, don't just go overboard and try a crazy diet that involves food you hate.
I just started a new eating regime.
For breakfast, homemade fruit smoothies. No sugar or anything added.. Just fruit.
Maybe a piece of whole wheat toast with peanut butter if I'm feeling EXTREMELY hungry.

For lunch, I'm still working with it. Fiber bar, then maybe a peanut butter and jelly sandwich too.
Then I work out.
Then for dinner, something with a little more protein.
Or maybe I should actually start eating dinner.

The point is, it'll all pay off and you will feel fantastic if you start working out.
If you add healthy food, it'll work even better!

Give it a try.

Determination.
I wrote it on my arm to remind me of my goal!





















--------------------


Now.. Music.

Fascinating subject..
Music is just..

Music is absolutely gorgeous.
It's breathtaking.
Stunning.
Amazing.
Wonderful.

It can do so much.
Something I find extremely interesting is that it can evoke such strong emotion.
Think about it.
If you hear a song that's connected to a happy memory, often, you'll feel happier.
Same with a sad song.

Lizzi mentioned that it's like acupuncture. Music pokes little areas of your brain that makes you feel.. Feelings.

If you have a memory or emotion associated with a song, your brain will be "programmed" to remember those emotions or memories once you hear the associated stimuli, the song.

I wrote a small essay that explained that music can be used to classically condition someone.
For example:

I have songs that are associated with different emotions.
I'll use a sad song.
The song "Promise" by Matchbook Romance can make me cry.

This is because I felt heartbreak, and the song was playing.
I listen to Promise when I'm heartbroken.
Heartbreak makes me cry.

Because of this, they formed a correlation in my brain.
I associate Promise with heartbreak, and feeling heartbroken makes me cry.

Because of this, they're connected in my head. I start crying when I hear Promise because it reminds me how heartbreak feels.
Does that make sense?
It should.
I got a 100 on the essay.

That's just how I'm looking at it though.
I find it just.. Astonishing how music affects people.
I mean, if you think about it. music is nothing more than vibrations in the air.
That's it.

Just like this picture is nothing more than 0's and 1's.
Fascinating, isn't it?



































Molecules bouncing off each other, creating various tones and sounds.
But those tones and sounds can make you cry your eyes out.

Music has massive power.
It kind of is amazing.
Just think about it.

Vibrations in the air.
Molecules bouncing.
But we can harness those vibrations, those molecules.
We can use strings, wood, air, plastic, metal..
We can control the molecules bouncing off each other, and adjust the vibrations to create a tone.
Then we can use the same instrument to play a DIFFERENT tone.
Then we can play multiple tones at once, creating a chord.
We are able to classify these chords, these notes, into sections.
THEN we can utilize these sections and classifications to create a song.

Isn't that amazing???


I need to re-read the book "This is your brain on music".
I've read it before.
I'm going to read it again.
When I read it, I'll definitely be sure to pop in and talk about it a bit.

Until then....
Geez.
Music.
It's one of the best things on this planet.
I love it.
I can't imagine life without music.
It's truly one of the best things in my whole life.

I think that's all I can really think of writing right now.

So until next time, I'll say goodbye.
Share it if you like it!

Have a good day, and remember to try working out.. You won't regret it (:

-Nolan

--------------------
There's something small I want to propose.
If you want publicity for anything, I wouldn't mind getting paid maybe 5 dollars per month to put an ad in each post.
I tend to get 50 or more views a day, and over 100 if I have a big topic.
However, this number is consistently rising. My page hits are averaging 60ish, but I'm constantly getting more.
So if you want more people to see.. Whatever you're advertising, let me know (:

I realize it's a little weird, but it might help you raise awareness for whatever you want or something.
Just a thought.

--------------------



Top Five Songs of the Day

  1. Summer (In B) by Amber Pacific
  2. About a Girl by The Academy Is..
  3. The Dirt Whispered by Rise Against
  4. White Sky by Vampire Weekend
  5. Deceiver of Fools by Within Temptation
Song Lyric of the Day

~You're my summer that fades, to these cold autumn days
You're my keepsake, my friend, and my fears
You're the strength that's inside and I swear on my life
I will always be there by your side

So take this time to see that I
Cant leave this all to chance
So take this time to see that I
Have hope that lies will end

You're my summer that fades, to these cold autumn days
You're my keepsake, my friend, and my fears
You're the strength that's inside and I swear on my life
I will always be there by your side

I will always be there by your side
I will always be there by your side~

-Summer (In B) by Amber Pacific

Video Game of the Day
 Psychonauts.
All the way.

Youtube Video of the Day


What.



Picture(s) of the Day





I don't see why people hate on Naruto.
Yes, it's mainstream.
I like it.
I mean, there are others that are MUCH better.
*COUGH Hellsing COUGH*

But that's no reason to hate it. 
Seriously.
I like it. 


























No comments: