Tuesday, February 28, 2012

Popularity is overrated.. You were born this way, so OWN it!

Well hello!
Welcome to my daily blog!
Where I.....
Blog. Daily.

Crazy right?
I know!

I'm so crazy.
Nah just mostly crazy.
I don't really have a super awesome great crazy delicious wonderful well-written blog for you today.
But I did write a post!
About stuff!

I even used words too.
It's fancy.
I used all them good words cause of my book learnin'.

I was listening to 'Little Things' by Good Charlotte, and I decided to write something kind of off the message in the song.

So yeah...
Here's my post for the day (:

Hope you enjoy it!

--------------------
For all of you who were the "odd one" out.
For those of you who were always the one that nobody liked.
For those of you who were bullied constantly.
For all of us were considered "freaks".
For all of you who were never good enough for everyone else.
For those of you who were too weird, too strange to make friends.
For all of us who are weird, strange, different, odd, stupid, picked on..

You guys are awesome.
It doesn't matter what everyone else tells you.
It doesn't matter what they think of you.
They don't know you, they don't understand you.
If they don't like you, if they don't believe in you, that's their problem!

Yeah, you'll get shit from people.
People will pick on you because they think you're stupid.
Because they don't like you.
They think you're lesser than they are, but, frankly, that's bullshit!

You deserve happiness as much as they do!
The "popular" kids are pretty much that.
They're popular.
Doesn't mean they're cool, it doesn't mean they're nice, it doesn't mean they have tons of friends. It just means they're liked or accepted by more people!
But you know what?
They may be liked, but they probably don't have as many REAL friends as we do!
Just because they're liked doesn't mean they're awesome. You know?
They show people what others want to see!
Sure, tons of people like them, but how many of those people actually take the time to get to know them?
Probably not many.

Being popular is overrated anyway.

I'd rather have friends rather than have people just like me.

I was never the popular kid.
I wasn't "cool".
I didn't really get dates to dances that actually wanted to go with me, and if I went with someone, things were awkward.
I got made fun of for being a geek.
I've been made fun of because people thought I was gay.
Hell, I got made fun of for pretty much anything.
I wasn't good at sports.
I didn't have girls falling all over me.
I didn't even date that many girls!
I've been rejected tons and tons of times.
I got broken up with in a week because I wasn't cool enough for her.
I got shit for cutting myself.
I got shit for not being the "perfect christian kid".
I've been judged, a lot. I mean a lot. Lots.
I'm socially awkward.
I don't really make friends that easily.

It's taken me a while to realize this, but you know what?
I don't care.
If they don't like me for who I am, that's their issue.

I'm me. I'm unique, I'm weird, I'm geeky, I'm strange, I make stupid jokes, I'm not that sexy, I'm definitely not a chick magnet, I have scars covering my body, I have an interesting past, I write these little silly blogs, I have a strange sense of humor, I'm not artistic, I love screamo music, I love hip-hop, I love classical music, I love my friends, I don't party, I'm not popular, I can't play any sort of sport to save my life, I'm out of shape, I'm weak, I'm obsessed with video games, I can't seem to find a girlfriend, I make mistakes, I'm not smart, I'm the odd one out. I'm weird. I'm unique, strange, and different. I'm Nolan.

I'm Nolan, I'm who I am.
I'm how I've turned out.
I'm different.

I may not be super popular, but I don't care.
Because of who I am, I've made so many great friends.
I don't have to lie to my friends. They accept me for who I am.
Some of my closest friends I've met by talking about silly things like video games, music, or even memes!
I mean seriously!
My friends accept me, they love me for what I am. Most of my friends don't judge me. My closest friends never judge me. I love my friends. I can be stupid, I can be geeky, I can be funny, I can be emotional, I can make the stupidest remarks, and they'll still care about me.
We all have those friends. The close friends we can't be without. The friends that are basically our siblings, but not by blood. Find these friends and hold onto them tight. Don't let them go. If you fight, get them back! They were your closest friends at one point, so don't let them leave your life.
If you have these friends, these people you can be stupid around, keep them with you forever. These friends will be your friends for life.
Find the ones that love you for who you are:)
They're precious and rare. Protect them.

If someone makes fun of me, it's not just because I'm different. They're making fun of me to feel better.
They want to give me crap about who I am because they get crap from others.

I don't need popular people to feel better about myself!
I'm who I am!

I know I'm going to sound like an angry, bitter, overweight ginger kid.. but...

You don't know me.
You're not God!
Blehh.. BWRREELLHHHGHRHGH!
That kid scares me.. He yells so much. It's honestly stressful. He's funny, but terrifying. Seriously.

If you look at me and think you understand me, I hate to break it to you, but you can't figure me out in a few days. Or a month. In order to REALLY figure out who I am, how I think what I do, what I think, you'll need a year or more.

So to all of you guys out there who aren't popular.
To all of you who feel out of place..
To you who weren't able to date them because you weren't cool enough..

Screw society!
Be who you are!
If someone doesn't like that, ignore them.
If they don't accept you the way you are, they're not even worth your time!!
You don't have to change who you are to be a good person.
You want to find a real friend? Be who you are!
Look around find people with the same interests!

Frankly, this is more about high school than college, but the same thing still applies.
High school is the hardest, worst, roughest, best 4 years of your life.

You'll be rejected, you'll be made fun of, you'll get shit for who you are, you'll go through so many changes, you'll want to be accepted, you'll want to be popular, you'll want a relationship, you'll wish multiple times that you were someone different.

It's high school, and it sucks. A lot.
But hey, I made it through.
If I can make it, you can!

So if people give you shit, don't let it get to you.
That's a lot to ask, but give it a try. If worst comes to worst, laugh, flip them off and walk away!
If people make fun of you, don't stand for it. Walk away. Be better than them.
It'll make them look pretty damn stupid if they're so cool that they can make fun of someone else, and that person just laughs and walks away!!

I promise you, you'll find friends who like you for YOU. They aren't trying to get anything out of you, there's no hidden goals. They hang out with you because they genuinely enjoy your company!

Everything you've ever been through has shaped you, has made you become who you are today.
You are you because of every experience you've.... experienced.
You don't need to be ashamed of who you are.
You should be proud to be you!
Because no one else is you.
I mean.. Unless you cloned yourself. If you're smart enough to do that.
Seriously. Give me some of the money you make off of that. I'd like more money.
I wonder what your cloned self would be like? Would they have shared memories and behavioral traits? I'm not even sure about that.
I think it'd just be lots of crazy people with duplicates running around and.. I don't know. Buying 2 ice cream cones. Or getting tons of free samples. I don't even know!

But back to the topic..
Things you've been through, things you've seen, things you've done.. They're all in the past.
There are things you regret.. There are things you've wished you could do. Things you wanted to do differently.
I know you've probably heard it, but they are in the past! You can't change them.
That's kind of rough. But it's true.
But.... You are who you are because of those experiences.
I mean, read this blog I wrote about some of my problems, some of the things I've been through.
I may regret some of my choices, but I have to live with them. I made the decisions, and I'm dealing with them.

Lizzi told me that "Don't regret any decisions because at one point, they're exactly what you wanted."

It's so true.
Now that you think about it, you don't think it was smart, you don't like what you did.
But the thing is, when you made those decisions, it was because you wanted it. It's because it's what you wanted to do!
I like what she told me. The thing is, it's often hard to not regret something you've done that you don't like now.
Frankly, I kind of regret the self-harm I've done for the past 4+ years.
But... At the same time... I'm kind of glad that I've been through that.
It gives me such a unique look at how others feel. It helps me relate with others!
It allows me to connect with people on a level that not many others can connect with.

I don't regret what I've been through.. It allows me to help others in a way that I know is needed.
I don't just throw aside people's problems, because I know what it's like to have problems, but no one can relate to you, or no one wants to listen.
I'm able to be a better listener. I'm able to empathize with people.
I think one of the biggest things I can do that shows I trust someone is to let them look at my arms in detail.
I don't let people do that.. I don't let anyone sit and look at my arms. It's not okay for me.
I literally have not let anyone just sit and look at my arm, except for the doctors at Mountaincrest.
Frankly, I only trust maybe 2 or 3 people that much. But I've never actually had the opportunity to sit down in person and talk about that.

However, having these scars has opened up conversations. It allows me to tell a person that I know, sort of, what they're going through.
I'm able to connect with people better.

I'm different, I'm strange.
I'm extremely unique! I'm Nolan.
I'm who I am because of what I've been through.
I'm who I am because of the choices I've made.
You're different too.

Yeah, you're different. Yeah, not every person will like you.
But you were born this way baby!
Yeahhh I kind of love Lady Gaga, and that song definitely fits this blog.
She's right, you know. She really is.

You were born the way you were for a reason. You were born to be who you are!
You don't have to completely change who you are just because someone makes fun of you. You don't have to change yourself to make friends. You don't need to become a new person just so people will love you!
I can't emphasize that enough. You are who you are, be proud of it. Own it.

You shouldn't be ashamed of who you are! There is no reason to be ashamed because of who you are.

I'm kind of ranting about this because I've always had something against the popular kids. It upset me because I wasn't as popular as some guys. It took me basically to my senior year to realize that it really doesn't matter what people think of me because I can't just change their opinion easily, I can't just change myself and force them to like me. It took me a long time to realize this.

If you can figure this out earlier than I did, I guarantee things will be a little easier. Adopt this attitude, and you'll have confidence in yourself, you'll be more comfortable with who you are, you'll make friends a little better.

I realize that this is a lot to just say, but I encourage you to give it a try!! You never know.. You might be happier:)

--------------------

I realize my post kind of wandered from the original beginning, but hey.. I wrote it.
It's what was going on in my brain, so I hope someone enjoys it!

Share it with your friends if you like it
I'd love for more people to read these:)

If you are brave enough, leave a comment below.. Why are you unique?
What makes you who you are?
What experiences have helped you define who you are today?

I would love to read anything you have to say, and I'm sure others would too.
In fact, I'm going to actually just ask you that you post something below.
Tell me why you think you're unique, what has shaped you into who you are today?


You can leave the comment as Anonymous, so don't be shy!
No one will know your name unless you choose to put it in there.


I hope you guys liked this. I kinda got into it, in case you didn't notice haha.
I'm pretty passionate about this. So until next time, you were born this way baby. Be proud of it. There's nothing wrong with loving who you are:)

Hang in there everybody.
You got this.

-Nolan

--------------------

























--------------------

Top Five Songs of the Day

  1. Born This Way by Lady Gaga
  2. Little Things by Good Charlotte
  3. Odd One by Sick Puppies
  4. Sing by My Chemical Romance
  5. Just The Way You Are by Bruno Mars
Song Lyric of the Day

~My mama told me when I was young,
We are all brn superstars.
She rolled my hair and put my lipstick on
In the glass of her boudoir.
"There's nothin' wrong with lovin' who you are!"
She said, "Cause He made you perfect, babe,
So hold your head up girl and you'll go far, 
Listen to me when I say!"
I'm beautiful in my way
'Cause God makes no mistakes,
I'm on the right track baby,
I was born this way!
Don't hide yourself in regret,
Just love yourself and you're set!
I'm on the right track baby, 
I was born this way!~

-Born This Way by Lady Gaga

Video Game of the Day

Deus Ex: Human Revolution


Youtube Video of the Day


Second day in a row... It's just so damn cute. 

Picture(s) of the Day












3 comments:

Anonymous said...

In elementary school, I first grew up around a group of girls who thought I was their equal and considered what I did as valid and acceptable. I later moved and met a group of people who first treated me like their best friend and later rejected basically anything I said or did. For those last few years of elementary school, I let myself acknowledge the "fact" that I was less than them, and I tried to regain the friendship that I thought I had done something to lose. When highschool came along, I was no longer around that group, and I made two friends that made my world a thousand times brighter. However, I had developed unfounded anger issues towards a family member, and when those two girls moved away, I fell into a self-diagnosed minor depression and my anger towards that person grew. I am now beyond highschool, and God has shown me that I am my own person - my own in Him. On top of that, He helped me heal in the way I saw my family member. I don't NEED to find my identity in anybody else besides my God, and even though there are days that I let myself fall back into the old mindset, those days are becoming few and far between. I now happily do what I want, trying my best to always find my joy from God and not from others, and I now have a great group of friends, love my family, and love my life!

Anonymous said...

Anyone who knows me, knows that I am just flat out odd. It is just me:) It's my life. But that's not always how it has been. Ever since the beginning, I was never even close to one of the cool kids. I was the nerdy, geek one that hid from everyone and, unfortunately, I was an extremely jealous child. I wanted to be one of those people so bad. I tried crazy hard, but then I switched schools. I had a chance to change it all. I never was popular there, but I got higher up. My friends were the ones who were considered the "nerds" (A.K.A. the cool kids.) But I was recognized by the popular kids because of my participation in sports. Which felt good, because I wasn't so lonely, or it seemed. That was cool for a while, until I felt that I should be accepted by them, and they just weren't all that accepting of me. I had to hide who I was to try and fit in. That left me depressed, and trying to find my identity in those people. It was a hard time in my own mind. I switched schools yet again, back to the original, but the sadness and depression lingered. There, I felt like I had to keep a good and happy face all the time. So I kept to a crazy personality, that's easy to constantly have because it only shows one emotion, and that is crazy..... If that's an emotion. But I acted like that for so long that it became my personality, and now I have fun with it! I'm not always happy by any means... But I will say that I like the way I am now, and I have my amazing friends like you Nolan who let me be who I am :)

Another big thing was, like all teenage boys, I was one of those stupid pervs. We all know the type;) Anyway, when I went to the second school, that's how I was. Just like all those stupid guys obsessed with sex. I don't know how it clicked in my head, but it did and I realized how much I hated that, how much I hated the people who treated girls like that. As if girls were some sort of object to look at, and because I had been like that... I don't know... It fueled the passionate hate I had for that mindset and made me approach the opposite at a much greater rate. So, no matter how much that I HATE that I was like that, it was good, because it shaped my view on all my sisters that are around me:) I wouldn't love them the same way I do now if it hadn't been for that.

Well.... That sounds like all the main points... Yeah:)

LOLKTHXBAI

Anonymous said...

Nolan, thank you. You're super inspiring & I'm glad I met you. You're always there for me when I need someone to talk to. You know practically what I'm going through. My scars have gone from havin a new one every day, to a couple months, thanks to you! Yeah, they're still there, but it reminds me of my imperfections. Youve literally saved my life a couple times & I love you for that!! Thanks for being there when no one else was <3