Friday, March 1, 2013

Abomination? I think not.



Just got called "an abomination" because I'm a Christian who happens to be bisexual.

I am disgusted with the human race right now. However, rather than just be angry at everyone, I'm going to say something important.

Here's some "DO's" and "DONT's" when it comes to approaching me (or any gay//bisexual//transgender) Christian about our sexuality.

-----

1. DON'T throw the Old Testament Law at me, and only quote sections that call me "an abomination" and tell me I'm going to be stoned and executed.

1-a. DO offer your thoughts in a respectful way, giving me verses to look at that don't directly condemn me in 5 seconds.

2. DON'T restrict all of your thoughts and opinions to the Old Testament Law.

2-a. DO look at the New Testament. What Jesus thinks and says about the world is pretty valid and important too.

3. DON'T go into a conversation with me expecting an argument full of angry words and accusations.

3-a. DO talk to me like another human being. Yes, I like both boys and girls. But yes, I am still a human being.

4. DON'T attack me with personal comments and jabs about who I'm dating or who I've dated.

4-a. DO see that my personal life isn't a tool to attack me with.

5. DON'T tell me that I'm not bisexual because you "have never seen me attracted to another man."

5-a. DO think about the fact that I've been unable to truly live openly as someone with an alternative sexuality for 20 years, so don't expect me to go out and get crazy with outward displays of homosexuality.

6. DON'T talk to me like you already consider yourself better than me.

6-a. DO treat me with respect. If you have the patience and interest to have an actual discussion with me about something that is as big as my sexuality, then you need to have the ability to get on my level and treat me with the respect you want me to give you.

7. DON'T become disgusted with me if I don't have the best defenses or replies.

7-a. DO understand that, as someone who was brought up in a private school setting for my entire life until college, I am NOT prepared to defend my own sexuality with the sureness and confidence that you can debate with me. I have about two good sources that I need to finish reading before I can come up with a thoughtful and intelligent response.

8. DON'T expect me to have an answer for everything you say.

8-a. DO realize that I'm not exactly a clever person, and I can't think of a response to every possible question, especially on a subject so touchy as alternative sexualities and their place in the Christian faith.

9. DON'T approach me and immediately compare me to a heterosexual or homosexual stereotype.

9-a. DO see that I'm not the same as everyone else. Just because one gay guy thinks that Adam Lambert is sexy, it doesn't mean the rest of us do. (But I do. Yes. I do. Seriously. Look at those eyes. 10/10).

10. DON'T assume that I am more gay than straight, or vice versa.

10-a. DO understand that I'm still trying to figure out exactly who I am. Sometimes, I will be as flamboyant and fabulous as I damn well please. Other times, I will be the epitome of "one of the guys".

11. DON'T think that I'm close-minded.

11-a. DO see that I am a very understanding person. If you give me thoughtful and intelligent thoughts or points to think on, I will. I won't shut you down if you disagree with me.

And perhaps the biggest one..

12. DON'T, under any circumstances, EVER assume that I am "confused".

12-a. DO think about how I've been brought up. I'm not a very confident person. At all. But out of everything? I am 100% sure that I am not a mistake.

I am not a freak.

I am not "broken".

And I am NOT, I repeat, 

I AM NOT AN ABOMINATION.

Out of every single part of who I am, I'm confident that the fact that, yes,

"I swing both ways."
"I like girls AND boys."

I'm a bisexual guy. And I'm confident that those who love me, those who TRULY love me, be it my God, my friends or my family, they will accept this. If you love me for who I am, then this shouldn't change how we communicate.

All it should do is make you realize that you can say with confidence,

 "I have a bisexual Christian friend."

No comments: