Tuesday, January 3, 2012

Bro, if you never played Pokemon Red, you shouldn't even be on Call of Duty.

*UPDATE*
Youtube video is now live here!

My title basically says it all.

If you were too old to play Pokemon Red, Blue, Green, or Yellow, you shouldn't even consider getting on Call of Duty.

Seriously.

I mean, as far as video games go, I was fairly sheltered.

I wasn't really allowed to play fighting or shooting games for a while.

I was pretty damn good at racing games, guitar hero, mario party... etc.

I mean, at the time, I thought it was the stupidest rule ever.

However, I look back, and it was a fairly good strategy.
In my opinion, it might have been okay to expose me to games a little more quickly, and perhaps not be as strict with what I could and couldn't play.

Like I said though, it was smart.

I notice how much more violent younger children are becoming..
I'm not saying that I wasn't violent, but my violent was different.
I wanted to be a jedi.
And a ninja.
And a sith.

But I didn't go around knifing and shooting people..

Kids these days.

--------------------

I think that parents should NOT be giving children violent games at 10.

Especially not Call of Duty. Seriously.

I've seen the argument that

"Children are becoming more and more desensitized to violence. So why bother trying to stop them from seeing it?

That's a circular argument...
Children are becoming desensitized because people LIKE THAT are letting their children see and take part in violence.

I'm NOT here to debate whether violent games cause violent behavior.
My friend did that as a thesis, and it was interesting.

I don't have the knowledge to give an informed opinion.

But I will say that letting a child control a human character that kills other humanoid characters with no sense of regret or conscience can NOT be healthy for them.

In fact, I was discussing this with Lizzi (Check out her blog here).

She made a brilliant point in the way that a game portrays violence, particularly one like Call of Duty.

In a game like that, the violence has no cause.
A more mature person would acknowledge that, at least in the story mode, you are playing the part of a preventative squad that creates violence in order to divert LARGE amounts of violence.

But how would a 10 year old figure that out?

Particularly in the multiplayer mode, the game really has no cause for violence.
Other players are viewed as obstacles.
No feelings.
No emotions.
Nothing.
Just another target.

10 year olds are extremely susceptible to changing thought patterns.

Enforcing the idea that killing another being has no consequences just isn't smart.

Seriously.

Parents need to step it up.

Our youth is becoming more and more violent, and we need to do SOMETHING to slow that down.

 --------------------

NOW.

READ THIS.

I am in NO WAY, SHAPE, OR FORM hating on Call of Duty, or any video game.

I happen to like Call of Duty.
And Gears of War.

But I'm mature (haha) enough to realize the difference between reality and a game, and realize the consequences of such violent acts.

Call of Duty is a fantastic game.
And, Grand Theft Auto is as well.

No, I'm not saying moral wise.

I'm acknowledging that both games are extremely entertaining!

--------------------

As a side note, when people hear Grand Theft Auto, they automatically think,
"Have sex with a prostitute then run her over to get the money back!"
That's one of the most notorious aspects of the game.

People need to realize that 99% of the population don't play the game that way.

I happen to love finding a vehicle then seeing how long I can outrun a 7 star police chase.

So please know, not everyone plays GTA to murder everyone.

--------------------

I find it hard to continue talking about this subject without repeating myself.

So, to not repeat myself, I'm going to summarize everything.

(Get it? Cause I'm repeating myself by summarizing everything I've already said).

I think video games are awesome.
Amazing, fun, entertaining, and requires a MASSIVE output of creativity and intelligence to make one.

But exposing youth to violent video games is not a good thing.

It can desensitize them to violence, and perhaps instill wrong morals or ideas.

That being said, violent video games in and of themselves are not PURE EVIL and they don't cause EVERY SINGLE piece of violence in the world.

They are still works of art, in their own way.

--------------------

When I was 10, I was reading books.
Lots of them.

Kids need to find more creative outlets.
Get outside once in a while.

(Says the 18 year old that plays video games.. Alot.)

Good night!!

--------------------

Top Five Songs of the Day

  1. Never Take Friendship Personally by Anberlin
  2. Secrets by OneRepublic
  3. Shots by LMFAO
  4. Monk's Mood by Thelonius Monk
  5. How To Love by Lil Wayne ( I ADORE THIS SONG )
Video Game of the Day

Soul Calibur IV. Again.

Picture of the Day




In case you haven't heard this song..... CLICK IT HERE NOW

No comments: